Ever wondered why we have to pray when God already knows everything (all-knowing) and can do anything (all-powerful) to help us?
- we pray to deepen our relationship with God.
- we pray to remind ourselves of our place of humility, to remind ourselves that God is God, and we are not.
- we long for connection (we want to talk with someone who loves us)
- prayer encourages our faith and dependence on God.
- sometimes, we don’t know God’s will for us until we pray and ask
Tired and aching all over from tennis yesterday. I think I overdid it but it was fun and I managed to put in a few nice (and totally random) returns. There was this ball I hit that went travelling straight down the court and the opponent was ready to receive it, but suddenly after it landed, bounced perpendicularly (90 deg) to the side and off the court like an ‘L’ shape. Even that guy exclaimed and made a big commentary about it.
Got started on my SETM assignment today, which I had to do in school ‘cos of two reasons. One being that the code didn’t seem to be able to run outside of the school computers, and I didn’t have the software required for the second part. FCS test is on Monday morning… hope I have enough time to complete my revision ><
Today I took a look at my website/blog stats, and wow, the visitors to my website prefers to use Firefox to IE. IE has been losing ‘support’ since two plus years ago, and it still is. This is because IE tends to crash/give more problems much more than Firefox, and Firefox is user-friendly, easier to customize and less prone to virus/spyware.
For me, these are the add-ons that I have installed on Firefox, and I recommend you try them out as it really increases productivity.
- Adblock Plus
- Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Right-click on a banner and choose “Adblock” from the context menu – the banner won’t be downloaded again. (samliew: you save bandwidth too!) Maybe even replace parts of the banner address with star symbols to block similar banners as well. Or you select a filter subscription when Adblock Plus starts up the first time, then even this simple task will usually be unnecessary: the filter subscription will block most advertisements fully automatically.
- The AutoPager Firefox extension automatically loads the next page of a site inline when you reach the end of the current page for infinite scrolling of content. (samliew: Works with most popular sites, but you also can create rules for your favorite sites to automatically load the next few pages.)
- Better Gmail 2
- 2 is a compilation of Greasemonkey user scripts that add features to Gmail. Add useful extra features to Gmail, like hierarchical labels, macros, file-type attachment icons, row highlights, and more.
- British English Dictionary
- Automatically spell checks whatever you type like a word processor.
- Download Statusbar
- View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar – without the download window getting in the way of your web browsing. (samliew: highly recommended! install this and disable the default Firefox download window.)
- Download all the links, movies and audio clips of a page at the maximum speed with a single click, using the most popular, lightweight and reliable external download managers. (samliew: works well with the above plug-in. I use this to download YouTube videos and embedded MP3 from websites)
- If you installed the above plug-in, now you can get scripts for whatever page you visit on the fly. When you visit a web page that has compatible user scripts on userscripts.org, this extension will highlight the Greasemonkey icon in the status bar.
- PDF Download
- This plug-in allows you to choose what you want to do with PDF files when you click on a link to it, either viewing as PDF, downloading it, or letting the company convert it to HTML for you (free!).
For my faithful blog readers, I have done something special for all of you. Now you can see me via my webcam anytime at http://www.samliew.com/webcam/! The username is guest and password is guest. I’ll try this out for a period of time and see how things work out. If it takes up too much of my bandwidth I may slow the refresh rate or restrict to a smaller group of people.
See you there!
For the Software Engineering Tools & Metrics assignment we need to profile and find bottlenecks of a free open source Java project and submit a report with the solutions and various kind of metrics. We have been given a Image Cafe software developed by our university, in a case that we couldn’t find a suitable project. ;-) Anyway most of us use the given program as our test program. We are using java -prof command and analyze data to find any bottlenecks and solve them.
NetBeans Profiler – This is special purposes it uses java -prof function and visualize data, so need to copy prof output to OpenOffice.org calc or any other spread sheet program and format them. To be used with NetBeans IDE.